This week I missed the entire week of school because I was unable to sit, lay, move, stand or do anything without a great deal of pain. I have been cursed with back issues, you don’t want them! As I write, my right foot is numb and I can’t move my toes, weird huh? I had my first bout with back pain 18 years ago. I was having some discomfort, but when I picked up my then toddler, TK. from his crib and twisted (never, ever do that by the way), something in my back gave way. I was told later I ruptured a disk. Wow, pain like I have never known. I went to the emergency room and missed two days of my life as they gave me some wonderful drugs, at least that is what Melissa tells me.
Ten years later I had another bout of back issues and found myself in the emergency room once again. This time I received great treatment, but only missed a few hours of my life. I learned to exercise and do rehab and after a few weeks it was life normal again.
Last week I recognized the same pain as I had before, and knew I was heading to the emergency room again. It took me four days to get there, but I finally relented and went. I received four shots for my pain (they gave me this stuff that feels like fire going it, but it works).
While on my back I learned some important things:
- You are surprised by the people who go out of their way to care for you and check on you.
- You are surprised by the people who DON’T do anything to check on you and care for you.
- You realize that health is THE MOST important thing you have in this physical life.
- You realize your wife is THE MOST IMPORTANT person in your life.
- You realize that you are blessed on those “normal” boring days more than can ever imagine.
Today I am going back to the doctor to see if they can help me get rid of some of the numbness. I don’t mind, I am just glad I can go back to work and hug my family. Sometimes it takes pain in our life to help us appreciate the blessings we have everyday, at least it did for me. Until next time, peace.